Apply for Cultures of Resistance Scholarships at SOAS University London 2019
Scholarships for Cultures of Resistance 2019 – The Cultures of Resistance Scholarships will benefit people from countries that have been affected by wars and extreme poverty. Scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply their knowledge and skills for the betterment of their societies.
SOAS University London, UK
Field of Study
The following full-time programmes are eligible:
• MSc Development Studies with special reference to Central Asia
• MSc Globalisation and Development
• MSc Migration, Mobility and Development
• MSc Violence, Conflict and Development
• MSc Development Economics
• MSc Political Economy of Development
• MA Legal Studies (General Programme)
• MA Dispute and Conflict Resolution
• MA Environmental Law and Sustainable Development
• MA Human Rights Law
• MA International Law
• MA Law, Development and Globalisation
• LLM Dispute and Conflict Resolution
• LLM Environmental Law
• LLM Human Rights, Conflict and Justice
• LLM International Law
Part-time programmes are not eligible.
Number of Awards
Priority will be given to students resident in: Afghanistan, Burma/Myanmar, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Iraq, Kashmir, Kurdistan, the Palestinian Territories (West Bank and Gaza), Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tibet, Western Sahara, Yemen, West Papua and Papua
The scholarship programme is also open to students resident in the following countries/territories:
Algeria, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bir Tawil, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Chechen Republic, Colombia, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, East Timor, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Golan Heights, Georgia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mexico, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Philippines, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Each scholarship is valued at £25,500 in total. Fees will be deducted from this amount and the remainder will be used toward maintenance. In addition, each scholar will benefit from free accommodation at International Student House (ISH) and some food vouchers to be spent in the ISH restaurant.
• Candidates must hold (or be expected to obtain) a good honours degree, preferably first class, from a UK institution or overseas equivalent.
• Candidates should describe in their personal statement of their admission application:
- how the political situation in your home country, especially violent conflict, war, poverty, and/or military occupation, has shaped your experiences and ambitions in life.
- how these experiences have affected your interest in human rights, social justice, and grassroots democracy.
- what academic and social issues you plan to explore during your studies at SOAS.
- what you hope to do upon completion of your program at SOAS.
- what the most pressing problems are in your home country and how the pursuit of education at SOAS in your chosen field would promote human rights, social justice, equality, and the enrichment of civil society in your home country.
• Candidates must have an offer of admission to pursue a full time eligible programme by the scholarship closing date.
• Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2016.
Applications are currently closed.
You must submit a complete online application for admission to your programme as soon as possible and then apply for the scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form (which will be available at the official website from 28 January 2016).
24 Feb 2016 (annual)
Study in: UK
Course starts September 2016
Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 24 February 2016.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship and to access the online application form.