Apply for International Fulbright Science and Technology Scholarships 2019
International Fulbright Science and Technology Scholarships 2019 – The International Fulbright Science and Technology (S&T) Award for outstanding foreign students is designed to be among the most prestigious international scholarships in science and technology. Announced at the January 2006 U.S. University Presidents Summit on International Education, the S&T Award demonstrates the United States’ commitment to remaining the premier destination for serious scientific study and research and its welcoming of top-notch leaders to shape their careers at its colleges and universities.
US Colleges and Universities
Fields of Study
- Aeronautics and Astronomics/Aeronautical Engineering
- Agriculture (theoretical or research-based focus only)*
- Astronomy/Planetary Sciences
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Sciences/Engineering
- Engineering (electrical, chemical, civil, mechanical, ocean, and petroleum)
- Environmental Science/Engineering
- Geology/Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- Information Sciences/Engineering (engineering focus only; business-focused study is not eligible)
- Materials Science/Engineering
- Public Health (theoretical or research-based focus only)
- While agriculture tends to be a fairly applied field of study, those wishing to pursue theoretical and research-based study in such areas as entomology, plant biology, plant pathology, and soil science are eligible for this Award.
See the full description of each field of study at this link.
Number of Awards
For its fourth year (2011-2012), approximately 40 awards will be competed worldwide for candidates who demonstrate unique aptitude and innovation in scientific fields.
Citizens of selected countries in Africa, East Asia and Pacific, Europe and Eurasia, Middle East and North Africa, The Americas, and South and Central Asia. See this page for the complete list of eligible countries.
Selected grantees will be funded for up to three years and will receive the following:
- testing vouchers for TOEFL,GRE General and GRE Subject exams,
- tuition and fee coverage,
- a monthly stipend,
- book and equipment allowance,
- research allowance,
- professional conference allowance,
- travel support,
- health and accident coverage, and
- specially tailored enrichment activities.
After three years, the host U.S. university will be expected to cover the remaining expenses toward completion of the Ph.D. J-1 visa sponsorship will be provided for up to five years.
To be eligible you must:
- be a citizen of a country where there is an active Fulbright Foreign Student Program;
- apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your country of citizenship; and
- have completed study equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree on or before August 2010. It is highly recommended that your prior degree study be in the same field of study, or a related field of study, for which you wish to pursue Ph.D. study.
- You are ineligible if you:
- are currently studying in the U.S;
- have received a previous Fulbright award; or
- do not wish to pursue Ph.D. study in an eligible field.
Applicants must apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in their country of citizenship. Applications for the 2011-2012 competition will be accepted starting 1 February 2010.
Application deadlines will vary from country to country. Check with the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country for the last possible date to apply here.
Please note recruitment for the International Fulbright Science and Technology Program has been suspended for the 2013-2014 program year. Decisions for the 2012 cohort have already been announced.
Finalists will be identified by mid-October 2019 and will begin their doctoral programs in the U.S. in the 2019-2020 academic year, which at most U.S. universities begins in August or September.
Study in: USA
Course starts AY 2019 – 2020
It is important read this how-to-apply page and to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
All scholarship/financial inquiries should not be made here, but to your local embassy or Fulbright Commission. For country-specific contact details, please click here.