Apply for JFUNU Scholarships for PhD in Sustainability Science 2019
JFUNU Scholarships 2019 – The Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance and who are granted admissions to the PhD Programme in Sustainability Science at United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS).
United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS)
Level/Field(s) of Study
PhD Programme in Sustainability Science
Number of Scholarships
Citizens of developing countries listed in the latest OECD DAC list
The scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months.
Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
1. Strong interest in sustainability studies;
2. Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
3. A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes
OR Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
4. A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale on at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
5. English language proficiency
Eligibility Requirements for the scholarships:
- Applicants must be from developing countries* who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
How to Apply
Applications are currently closed.
To apply, you must complete the online application form.
19 April 2019 (annual)
Study in: Japan
Course starts September 2019
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.